Monday, February 11, 2013

Jungle Goodness

 I would sink my toes in the organic soil and breathe in jungle goodness. Pizotes would beg for food -- until they realized we had dogs on the property - and scarlet macaws would fly overhead. I'm pretty sure that whatever lot we lived on would be "good."

(Taken on the road up to Osa Mountain Village by Betty McGee.)

I don't want to jinx it, but Happy Birthday to me! And I'll tell you why in a minute.

In some recent correspondence with the land developer, I was invited to pick out my home site (even though I only have a deposit down). He was concerned that all the "good" ones would be taken. I smile at this because any land at the eco-village would be grand.

Nevertheless, I had a survey map sent over and -- lo, and behold -- about half the lots already had dibs called on them. Eeek! I sent a mad scurry of emails to determine what wavy green lines, white spaces, blue and red lines, and blue triangles all mean on survey maps, and have requested pictures or video of four or five of the lots that Ali and I have narrowed down. 

Despite this, and despite the knowledge that all the lots would be "good," Ali and I are seriously considering a quick trip down to CR to make sure the lot we pick out will be the best for us. (!!!) I do have some specific intentions for the land, and it would be a bummer if the thing I wanted to do with it wouldn't work. I want to have the space to have a large garden, a bee hive, a chicken coop, a yurt and a wooden house, and plenty of room for doggies to roam. Also, a covered area for eating/dancing/yoga-ing outside.

My kids are going on a vacation with their dad and nana during Spring Break. Ali was thinking we could go to CR at the same time. (What a birthday gift to me!) He needed some time to get some things in order before we went -- projects to finish at work, etc -- but the good news is he doesn't need a visa to enter Costa Rica. So we don't have to wait (or pay extra) for that.

I emailed the community at Osa Mountain Village today and opened a dialogue up for finding creative ways to make this impromptu trip an inexpensive one for us. (Which translates to: begged for cheap, shared, or free accommodations, and car rental and food discounts.) We'll see what happens. There are benefits to living in community, you know?

Things are moving along at Serenity Gardens Eco-Village. 
They are building roads,


marking off home sites,


and they've finished the community center design rendering.



The community center will be at the upper-most lot on the property, with the only ocean view. Originally, Jim Gale (the developer) thought about having a couple of high-end homes built there, but decided it would be nicer if we all got to share that view as community members instead. Win!







No comments:

Post a Comment